A new robust information hiding method for video
V.A. Mitekin, V.A. Fedoseev
Image Processing Systems Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences,
Samara State Aerospace University
Full text of article: Russian language.
A new method for information hiding in digital video is presented in this paper. The proposed method is based on multi-bit frame-by-frame information hiding technique and does not require a temporal synchronization during blind information extraction. This means, proposed method provides hidden information robustness against both malicious and non-malicious frame dropping (temporal desynchronization). A new approach to randomized distribution of hidden information bits across the video frames was implemented to increase method’s embedding capacity compared to known video watermarking and information hiding techinques, robust again temporal desynchronization. Provided experimental results shows that proposed method provides hidden information robustness against frame cropping, frame loss and lossy compression using MPEG-4 and MJPEG algorithms. The proposed method is also highly robust against known “watermark estimation” attack aimed at estimation of hidden information without knowing the embedding key or non-watermarked video. Proposed information hiding method was also compared with Davey - MacKay “watermark code” redundand coding algorithm, which is also aimed at “frame loss” error correction. As a result, proposed method showed better code rates when used for small (up to 704 bits) message length.
information hiding, video watermarking, watermark synchronization, spread spectrum watermarking, robust watermark.
- Pavel, G. Embedding, Extraction and Detection of Digital Watermark in Spectral Images: PhD Thesis / G. Pavel. – Lappeenranta: Lappeenranta University of Technology, 2005.
- Doërr, G. Security pitfalls of frame-by-frame approaches to video watermarking / G. Doërr, J.L. Dugelay // IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. – 2004. – V. 52(10). – P. 2955-2964.
- Chen, C. Temporal statistic based video watermarking scheme robust against geometric attacks and frame dropping / C. Chen, J. Ni, J. Huang // Digital Watermarking. – Springer, 2009. – P. 81-95.
- Sun, S.W. Video watermarking synchronization based on profile statistics / S.W. Sun, P.C. Chang // Proceedings of IEEE 37th Annual 2003 International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology. – 2003. – P. 410-413.
- Holliman, M.J. Robust frame-dependent video watermarking / M.J. Holliman, W.W. Macy, M.M. Yeung // Proceedings of SPIE 3971, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents II. – 2000. – P. 186-197.
- Lin, E.T. Temporal synchronization in video watermarking / E.T. Lin, E.J. Delp // IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. – 2004. – V. 52(10). – P. 3007-3022.
- Delannay, D. Classification of watermarking schemes robust against loss of synchronization / D. Delannay, B. Macq // Proceedings of SPIE 5306, Security, Steganography, and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents VI. – 2004. – P. 581-591.
- Delannay, D. Digital watermarking algorithms robust against loss of synchronization. PhD Thesis / D. Delannay. Louvain: Universite catholique de Louvain, 2004.
- Herrigel, A. Watermark template attack / A. Herrigel, S.V. Voloshynovskiy, Y.B. Rytsar // Proceedings of SPIE 4314, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents III. – 2001. – P. 394–405.
- Lin, E.T. Spatial synchronization using watermark key structure / E.T. Lin, E.J. Delp // Proceedings of SPIE 5306, Security, Steganography, and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents VI. – 2004. – P. 536-547.
- Tsai, D.M. Fast normalized cross correlation for defect detection / D.M. Tsai, C.T. Lin // Pattern Recognition Letters. – V. 24(15). – 2003. – P. 2625-2631.
- O'Ruanaidh, J.J.K. Rotation, scale and translation invariant digital image watermarking / J.J.K. O'Ruanaidh, T. Pun // Proceedings of International Conference on Image Processing. – V. 1. – 1997. – P. 536-539.
- Barni, M. Watermarking Systems Engineering: Enabling Digital Assets Security and Other Applications / M. Barni, F. Bartolini. – Marcel Dekker, 2004.
- Ponomarenko, N. On between-coefficient contrast masking of DCT basis functions / N. Ponomarenko, F. Silvestri, K. Egiazarian, M. Carli, J. Astola, V. Lukin // Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Video Processing and Quality Metrics. – 2007. – V. 4. – 4 p.
- Davey, M.C. Reliable communication over channels with insertions, deletions, and substitutions / M.C. Davey, D.J.C. MacKay // IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. – V. 47(2). – 2001. – P. 687-698.
- Glumov, N.I. Modified high-capacity digital image watermarking algorithm with robust to image distortions / N.I. Glumov, V.A. Mitekin // Proceedings of the 9th International Conference “Intelligent Information Processing”. – 2012. – P. 320-323. – (In Russian).
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20