Simulation of resonance focusing of a piñosecond pulse by a dielectric microcylinder
Kozlova E.S., Kotlyar V.V., Degtyarev S.A.
Image Processing Systems Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences,
Samara State Aerospace University
Full text of article: Russian language.
Time dependence of the parameters of a focal spot when performing the resonance focusing of a plane TE-wave with a dielectric microcylinder (refractive index n = 1.59) is investigated using the FDTD-method. It is shown that as the picosecond pulse passes through the cylinder, the focus width decreases, whereas the intensity of the focus increases, as does the energy of light accumulated in the cylinder. Following the pulse propagation, a leaking whispering gallery mode is excited within the cylinder, which is matching a round-wire-fiber mode with zero propagation constant. With time the mode energy is leaking. Solving the Helmholtz equation by a finite element method, the best parameters of the focal spot are shown to be achieved for a cylinder of radius 2.1749λ, with the focal spot size at full width at half maximum of intensity being 0.226λ and the maximum intensity in the focus being 60 times the incident light intensity, where λ is the incident wavelength.
resonance focus, picosecond pulse, whispering gallery mode.
- Geints, Y.E. Photonic nanojet calculations in layered radially in homogeneous micrometer-sized spherical particles / Y.E. Geints, A.A. Zemlyanov, E.K. Panina // Journal of the Optical Society of America B. – 2011. – Vol. 28(8). – P. 1825.
- Han, L. Photonic jet generated by spheroidal particle with Gaussian-beam illumination / L. Han, Y. Han, G. Gouesbet, J. Wang, G. Grehan // Journal of the Optical Society of America B. – 2014. – ID 206847.
- Grojo, D. Bessel-like photonic nanojets from core-shell sub-wavelength spheres / D. Grojo, N. Sandeau, L. Boarino, C. Constantinescu, N. De Leo, M. Laus, K. Sparnnacci // Optics Letters. – 2014. – Vol. 39(13). – P. 3989-3992.
- Shen, Y. Ultralong photonic nanojet formed by a two-layer dielectric microsphere / Y. Shen, L.V. Wang, J. Shen // Optics Letters. – 2014. – Vol. 39(14). – P. 4120-4123.
- Liu, C. Photonic nanojet modulation by elliptical microcylinders / C. Liu, L. Chang // Optik. – 2014. – http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2014.01.116.
- Xu, B.B. Annual focusing lens based on transformation optics / B.B. Xu, W.X. Jiang, G.X. Yu, T.J. Cui // Journal of the Optical Society of America A. – 2014. – Vol. 31(5). – P. 1135.
- Heifetz, A. Subdiffraction optical resolution of a gold nanosphere located within the nanojet of a Mie-resonant dielectric microshere / A. Heifetz, J.J. Simpson, S.C. Kong, A. Taflove, V. Backman // Optics Express. – 2007. – Vol. 15. – P. 17334.
- Geints, Y.E. Photonic jets from resonantly excited transparent dielectric microspheres / Y.E. Geints, A.A. Zemlyanov, E.K. Panina // Journal of the Optical Society of America B. – 2012. – Vol. 29(4). – P. 758.
- Kozlov, D.A. Resonant laser focus light by uniformity dielectric microcylinder / D.A. Kozlov, V.V. Kotlyar // Computer Optics. – 2014. – Vol. 38(3). – P. 393-396.
- Vaganov, V.R. Fundamentals of the Theory of Diffraction / V.R. Vaganov, B.Z. Katsenelenbaum – Moscow: “Nauka” Publisher, 1984. – P. 325. – (In Russian).
- Kerimov, M.K. Studies on the zeros of Bessel functions and methods for their computation / M.K. Kerimov // Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics. – 2014. – Vol. 54(9). – P. 1387-1441.
- Gorodetsky, M.L. Quality-factor and nonlinear properties of optical whispering gallery modes / M.L. Gorodetsky V.B. Braginsky, V.S. Ilchenko // Physics Letters A. – 1989. – Vol. 137. – P. 393-397.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20