Optical modulator based on coupled photonic crystal cavities
Image Processing Systems Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences,
Samara State Aerospace University
Full text of article: Russian language.
In this paper we propose and numerically investigate an optical signal modulator which is based on two coupled photonic crystal cavities. The high stability of the proposed device to manufacturing errors is demonstrated. It is shown that the proposed model allows the modulation to be implemented in the low-intensity region of the resonant mode. A compact optical modulator based on a photonic crystal waveguide is designed. The possibility of using the optical or electrical pumping is examined.
on-chip integrated devices, optical modulator, coupled photonic crystal cavities.
- Reed, G.T. Silicon optical modulators. / G.T. Reed, G. Mashanovich, F.Y. Gardes, D.J. Thomson // Nature Photonics. – 2010. – Vol. 4(8). – P. 518-526.
- Takano, H. Highly efficient multi-channel drop filter in a two-dimensional hetero photonic crystal / H. Takano, B.-S. Song, T. Asano, S. Noda / Optics Express. – 2006. – Vol.14(8). – P. 3491–3496.
- Englund, D. Ultrafast Photonic Crystal Lasers / D. Englund, H. Altug, B. Ellis, J. Vuckovic // Laser Photon. – 2008. – Rev. 2. – P. 1863–8880.
- Tanaka, Y. Dynamic control of the Q factor in a photonic crystal nanocavity / Y. Tanaka, J. Upham, T. Nagashima, T. Sugiya, T. Asano, S. Noda // Nature Materials. – 2007. – Vol. 6(11). – P. 862-865.
- Fushman, I. Ultrafast nonlinear optical tuning of photonic crystal cavities / I Fushman, E. Waks, D. Englund, N. Stoltz, P. Petroff, J. Vuckovic // Applied Physics Letters. – 2007. – V. 90(9). – P. 091118.
- Englund, D. Electrically controlled modulation in a photonic crystal nanocavity / D. Englund, B. Ellis, E. Edwards, T. Sarmiento, J.S. Harris, D.A.B. Miller and J. Vuckovic // Optics Express. – 2009. – Vol. 17, Issue 18. – P. 15409-15419.
- Haus, H.A. Waves and Fields in Optoelectronics / H.A. Haus. – Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1984. – 403 p.
- Taflove, A. Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method / A. Taflove and S.C. Hagness. – 3rd ed. – Norwood, MA: Artech House, 2005.
- Liu, H.C. Designing coupled-resonator optical waveguides based on high-Q tapered grating-defect resonators / H.C. Liu, A. Yariv // Optics Express. – 2012. – Vol. 20(8). – P. 9249-9263.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; e-mail: email@example.com; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20