Interval estimation of color parameters from digital images
I.G. Palchikova, E.S. Smirnov
Technological Design Institute of Scientific Instrument Engineering,
Siberian Branch Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia,
Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk, Russia
Full text of article: Russian language.
Influence of the analog-to-digital conversion of an input signal from a sample onto the color rendition of a colorimetric device is studied. It is shown that irrespective of the light source choice, a specific systematic quantization error is introduced to the color rendition. We analyze the quantization error for a color photomatrix with a resolution of 8 bits per channel. An algorithm for finding the interval of values of the dominant wavelength and the color saturation of the sample is developed. It is shown that the similarity of two colors in a sample can be estimated by means of the Jaccard similarity coefficient. The spectral dependence of the intervals of color parameters, calculated from digital images, is found by means of a computing experiment. It is found that lower-brightness colors have a larger interval and are calculated with a lower accuracy. A hypothesis explaining the emergence of MacAdam ellipses on the chromaticity diagram is offered, namely the coding process of the visual neural signals can include procedures similar to the analog-to-digital conversion.
color, color measurement, color rendering, color vision, colorimetry, digital image, analog-to-digital conversion, dominant wavelength, saturation, RGB-space, signal quantization.
Palchikova IG, Smirnov ES. Interval estimation of color parameters from digital images. Computer Optics 2017; 41(1): 95-102. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2017-41-1-95-102.
- Gonzales RC, Woods RE, Eddins SL. Digital Image Processing using MATLAB. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall; 2004. ISBN: 978-8177588989.
- Prokopenko VT, Trofimov VA, Sharok LP. Psychology of Visual Perception [In Russian]. – Saint-Petersburg: “SPbGUITMO” Publisher; 2006.
- Latyshov IV, Kondakov AV, Vasil'ev VA, Pakhomov ME. Possibilities of use of hardware resources of the video spectral comparator “Docucenter Nirvis Projectina” by production of judicial and ballistic researches of traces of a shot [In Russian]. Judicial examination: Russian and international experience: materials of the 2nd international scientific and practical conference, Volgograd, May 21-22, 2014: 181.
- Palchikova IG, Latyshov IV, Vasilyev VA, Kondakov AV, Smirnov ES. Color analysis of digital images in expert judgement of shot''s trace [In Russsian] // Proceedings of the Russian Higher School Academy of Sciences 2015; 2(27): 88-101.
- Semakov SV. Development of a method and tools for research of characteristics of color sight: Abstract of theses on degree of Candidate of Technical Sciences [In Russian]. Saint-Petersburg; 2000.
- Palchikova IG, Aleynikov AF, Smirnov ES, Chugui YuV, Shvydkov AN, Niktsikevskkaya KN, Sartakov VYu, Yarushin TV. Portable color analyzer of high-quality changes of fowl [In Russian]. Achievements of science and technology of agrarian and industrial complex 2015; 29(9): 80-83.
- Palchikova IG, Aleynikov AF, Chugui YuV, Vorobyov VV, Yarushin TV, Sarktakkov VYu, Makashov YuD, Smirnov ES, Shvydkov AN. Videoanalyzer of quantitative color characteristics of samples [In Russian]. Instruments 2014; 12: 38-44.
- Palchikova IG, Smirnov ES. Features of color calibration of measuring systems [In Russian]. InterExpo GEO-Siberia-2014: X international scientific congress, on April 8-18, 2014, Novosibirsk; International scientific Siboptika-2014 conference: collection of materials 2014; 5(1): 128-134.
- Color and Vision Research Laboratory. Source: áhttp://www.cvrl.org/ñ.
- Reinhard E, Khan EA, Akyuz AO, Johnson G. Color Imaging: Fundamentals and Applications. Wellesley, Massachusetts: A K Peters, Ltd/CRC Press; 2008.
- Salomon D. Data Compression. The Complete Reference. 4th ed. London: Springer; 2006. ISBN: 1-84628-602-5.
- Klaasen KB. Electronic Measurement and Instrumentation. Cambridge University Press; 1996. ISBN: 0-521-47157-5.
- Jaccard P. Distribution de la flore alpine dans le Bassin des Dranses et dans quelques regions voisines. Bull Soc Vaudoise sci Natur 1901; 37(140): 241-272. DOI: 10.5169/seals-266440.
- Vavilov SI. The Human eye and the sun. ''Hot'' and ''cold'' light. Oxford: Pergamon Press Ltd.; 1965. ISBN: 978-0-08-010381-5.
- Kravkov SV. Color sight [In Russian]. Moscow: “Academy of Sciences of the USSR” Publisher; 1951.
- GOST 7845-92. TV broadcasting system. Main settings. Measurement methods [In Russian]. – Moscow: “IPK Izdatel'stvo standartov” Publisher; 2001.
- MacAdam DL. Color measurement: theme and variations. Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag; 1981. ISBN: 9780387107738.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; e-mail: email@example.com; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20