An algorithm for mapping flooded areas through analysis of satellite imagery and terrestrial relief features
Efremova O.A., Kunakov Yu.N., Pavlov S.V., Sultanov A.Kh.
Ufa State Aviation Technical Univercity, Ufa, Russia
We address a problem of the joint processing of digital maps of the earth surface and satellite imagery of flooded areas as part of the software intended to help authorities to respond to emergency situations. The problem of mapping flooded areas is solved based on the use of satellite images and GIS technologies. This paper describes an algorithm for mapping areas submerged by flooded rivers based on radar satellite images and analysis of characteristic relief features, allowing one to improve the accuracy of the image geolocation with a small number of reference points. The experimental studies demonstrate that using the algorithm proposed, the alignment accuracy of the river water surface obtained from a satellite image and from a digital topographic map has increased by 40%.
spatial data, flooded areas, space images, reference points, digital maps, software complex, algorithm for processing spatial data.
Efremova OA, Kunakov YuN, Pavlov SV, Sultanov AKh. An algorithm for mapping flooded areas through analysis of satellite imagery and terrestrial relief features. Computer Optics 2018; 42(4): 695-703. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2018-42-4-695-703.
- Avakyan AB, Istomina M.N. Floods as a global multidimensional problem. Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences 2002; 72(12): 1059-1068.
- Bagmanov V.Kh., Nagaev I.M., Pavlov S.V. Prediction of flooding zones on the basis of integration of space and hydrometeorological observation posts // Problems of forecasting, prevention and liquidation of consequences of emergency situations: Proceedings of the II All-Russian scientific-practical conference 2000.
- Pavlov SV, Efremova OA, Pavlov AS. Information-computer system for providing regional executive agencies with spatial data [In Russian]. Electrical and Data Processing Facilities and Systems 2013; 9(2): 88-95.
- Efremova OA. The application of a systematic approach to the analysis of the problem of using spatial information to support decision-making by regional executive authorities. The Engineering Herald of the Don 2014; 2: 14. Source: áhttp://ivdon.ru/uploads/article/pdf/efremova.pdf_2371.pdfñ.
- Schowengerdt RA. Remote sensing: Models and methods for image processing. 3rd ed. Burlington, San Diego, London: Academic Press; 2007. ISBN: 978-0-12-369407-2.
- Denisova AYu, Sergeev VV. Impulse response identification for remote sensing images using GIS data [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2015; 39(4): 557-563. DOI: 10.18287/0134-2452-2015-39-4-557-563.
- Soifer VA, ed. Information technologies remote sensing of the Earth [In Russian]. Samara: “Novaya Tehnika” Publisher; 2015. ISBN: 978-5-88940-138-4.
- Aksenov OYu. Combination of images [In Russian]. Digital Signal Processing 2005; 3: 51-55.
- Gershenzon VE. Remote sensing of the Earth: Common problems and russian specificity, Information Bulletin of GIS-Association 2005; 3(50): 57.
- Connelly BA, Braatz DT, Halquist JB, Deweese MM, Larson L, Ingram JJ. Advanced hydrologic prediction system. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres 1999; 104(D16): 655-660. DOI: 10.1029/1999JD900051.
- Haggett C. An integrated approach to flood forecasting and warning in England and Wales. Water and Environment Journal 1998; 12(6): 425-432. DOI: 10.1111/j.1747-6593.1998.tb00211.x.
- Zlobin VK, Eremeev VV. Processing aerospace images [In Russian]. Moscow: “Fizmatlit” Publisher; 2006. ISBN: 5-9221-0739-9.
- Pavlov SV, Kunakov YuN. Construction of zones of actual flooding of the terrain during river floods on the basis of processing of radar satellite images and analysis of characteristic relief points [In Russian]. Vestnik UGATU. Seria: Management, Computer Science and Informatics 2009; 13(2:35): 3-10.
- Tikunov VS. Modeling in cartography [In Russian]. Moscow: “Izdateljstvo MGU” Publisher; 1997. ISBN: 5-211-03346-9.
- Akovetsky VI. Photo interpretation [In Russian]. Moscow: “Nedra” Publisher; 1983.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846)
332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20