Investigation of algorithms for coagulate arrangement in fundus images
Shirokanev A.S., Kirsh D.V., Ilyasova N.Yu., Kupriyanov A.V.
Samara National Research University, 34, Moskovskoye shosse, Samara, 443086, Samara, Russia,
IPSI RAS – Branch of the FSRC “Crystallography and Photonics” RAS, Molodogvardeyskaya 151, 443001, Samara, Russia
Diabetic retinopathy is one of the most frequent complications of diabetes, which leads to severe consequences, including rapid and irreversible vision loss. The laser coagulation procedure to treat diabetic retinopathy consists in applying a series of microburns to the fundus to deal with macular edema.
The existing hardware/software packages are primarily based on the use of a predetermined pattern for coagulate arrangement. However, due to the complex form of edema and vascular system, this approach leads to an uneven arrangement. To solve the problem, we propose a new approach based on the application of sphere packing algorithms (circle packing in two-dimensional images) in the specified area of interest. Since one of the main requirements for the laser coagulation procedure is that it should have the minimum duration, a problem of the computational complexity of the developed algorithms arises. This requirement is completely ignored by the existing approaches, therefore the development of new high-performance coagulate arrangement algorithms is highly relevant.
In the paper, we propose seven new algorithms for coagulate arrangement and provide a detailed analysis of key characteristics of the algorithms. The characteristics considered have made it possible to extract information relating to the algorithm properties. Regularity is determined by the median, asymmetry and the kurtosis; determinism is determined by the variance and the mean.
image processing, sphere packing problem, laser coagulation, fundus, sphere packing, diabetic retinopathy, iteration process, binary image, distribution histogram.
Shirokanev AS, Kirsh DV, Ilyasova NYu, Kupriyanov AV. Investigation of algorithms for coagulate arrangement in fundus images. Computer Optics 2018; 42(4): 712-721. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2018-42-4-712-721.
- Zamyckij EA. Laser treatment of diabetic macular edema [In Russian]. Aspirantskiy Vestnik Povolzhiya 2015; 2: 79.
- Ilyasova NYu, Kupriyanov AV, Khramov AG. Information technologies of image analysis in problems of medical diagnostics [In Russian]. Moscow: “Radio i Svyaz” Publisher; 2012. ISBN: 5-89776-014-4.
- Ilyasova NYu. Methods for digital analysis of human vascular system. Literature review. Computer Îptics 2013; 37(4): 517-541.
- Doga AV, Kachalina GF, Pedanova EK, Buryakov DA. Modern diagnostic and treatment aspects of diabetic macular edema [In Russian]. Diabetes Mellitus 2014; 4: 51-59. DOI: 10.14341/DM2014451-59.
- Issa PC, Gillies MC, Chew EY, Bird AC, Heeren TFC, Peto T, Holz FG, Scholl HPN. Macular telangiectasia type 2. Prog Retin Eye Res 2013; 34: 49-77. DOI: 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2012.11.002.
- Galiev SI, Lisafina MS. Linear models for the approximate solution of the problem of packing equal circles into a given domain. European Journal of Operational Research 2013; 230(3): 505-514. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejor.2013.04.050.
- Ilyasova N, Paringer R, Shirokanev A, Kupriyanov A, Ushakova N. A smart feature selection technique for object localization in ocular fundus images with the aid of color subspaces. Procedia Engineering 2017; 201: 736-745. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.09.599.
- Ilyasova N, Kirsh D, Paringer R, Kupriyanov A, Shirokanev A. Coagulate map formation algorithms for laser eye treatment. Proc 3rd ICFSP 2017: 1-5. DOI: 10.1109/ICFSP.2017.8097154.
- Clarksona D.McG., Makhzoumb O., Blackburn J. Determination of pulse profile characteristics of multi spot retinal photocoagulation lasers. Medical Engineering & Physics 2015; 37(10): 1027–1031. DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2015.07.009.
- Syed AM, Hassan T, Akram MU, Naz S, Khalid S. Automated diagnosis of macular edema and central serous retinopathy through robust reconstruction of 3D retinal surfaces. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2016; 137: 1-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.cmpb.2016.09.004.
- Chhablani J, Kozak I, Barteselli G, El-Eman S. A novel navigated laser system brings new efficacy to the treatment of retinovascular disorders. Oman J Ophthalmol 2013; 6(1): 18-22. DOI: 10.4103/0974-620X.111898.
- Navilas® ultra-wide-field PRP. Source: áhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNc9HAu0jBMñ.
- Ilyasova NYu, Paringer RA, Kupriyanov AV, Ushakova NS. The effective features formation for the identification of regions of interest in a fundus images. CEUR Workshop Proceedings 2016; 1638: 788-795. DOI: 10.18287/1613-0073-2016-1638-788-795.
- Ilyasova N, Paringer R, Kupriyanov A. Regions of interest in a fundus image selection technique using the discriminative analysis methods. In Book: Chmielewski LJ, Datta A, Kozera R, Wojciechowski K, eds. International Conference on Computer Vision and Graphics. ICCVG 2016: Computer Vision and Graphics. Cham: Springer; 2016: 408-417. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-46418-3_36.
- Ilyasova NYu, Kupriyanov AV, Paringer RA. The discriminant analysis application to refine the diagnostic features of blood vessels images. Optical Memory & Neural Networks 2015; 24(4): 309-313. DOI: 10.3103/S1060992X15040037.
- Kazakov AL, Lebedev PD. Algorithms of optimal packing construction for planar compact sets [In Russian]. Vychisl Metody Programm 2015; 16(2): 307-317.
- Kazakov AL, Lempert AA, Nguyen HL. An algorithm of packing congruent circles in a multiply connected set with non-euclidean metrics [In Russian]. Vychisl Metody Programm 2016; 17: 177-188.
- Yas'kov GN. Method of decision of task of packing of different circles with choice of perspective initial points [In Russian]. Scientific Works of Kharkiv National Air Force University 2010; 3(25): 119-122.
- Shirokanev A, Kirsh D., Kupriyanov A. Development of a vector algorithm of three-dimensional crystal lattice parametric identification based on estimation of the spacing between adjacent lattice planes. Procedia Engineering 2017; 201: 690-697. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.09.684.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: email@example.com ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846)
332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20