(25) * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Investigation of the dependence of the mode powers at the output of a stepped fiber waveguide on the magnitude of its deflection
S.V. Karpeev1,2, V.S. Pavelyev1,2, S.N. Khonina1,2
1Samara State Aerospace University
2Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS
PDF, 12 kB
The use of diffractive optical elements (DOE) in fiber-optic physical value converters seems to be very promising. This work is devoted to the DOE-assisted research of the dependence of the transverse-mode composition of a fiber with a stepped refractive index profile on a microbend depth. An experimental setup is described, as well as the algorithms for processing experimental data that provide for accurate measurements of the mode power. The dependence of the LP11 mode power on the fiber bend depth is obtained. The result allows to anticipate the construction of fiber-optic converters with improved characteristics - dynamic range and accuracy.
fiber waveguide, magnitude deflection, diffractive optical elements, DOE, fiber-optic, microbend, LP11 mode.
Karpeev SV, Pavelyev VS, Khonina SN. Investigation of the dependence of the mode powers at the output of a stepped fiber waveguide on the magnitude of its deflection. Computer Optics 2003; 25: 95-99.
- Garitchev VP, Golub MA, Karpeev SV, et. al Experimental investigation of mode coupling in a multimode graded-index fiber, caused by periodic microbends using computer-generated spatial filters. Opt Commun 1985; 55(6): 403-405.
- Karpeev SV, Pavelyev VS, Duparre M, et al. Analysis and formation of the transverse-mode composition of coherent radiation in a fiber optic waveguide with a stepped refractive index profile using DOE [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2002; 23: 10-14.
- Solimeno S, Crosignani B, Di Porto P. Guiding, diffraction, and confinement of optical radiation. New York: Academic Press Inc; 1986.
- Shevchenko V. Radiation losses in bent waveguides for surface waves [In Russian]. Izvestiya Vysshikh Uchebnykh Zavedenii: Radiofizika 1971; 5: 768.
- Krivoshlykov SG, Sisakyan IN. Functional potentialities and sensitivity of sensors made from multimode graded-index optical waveguides. Soviet Journal of Quantum Electronics; 1987; 14(3): 299-305.
- Soifer VA, ed. Methods for computer design of diffractive optical elements. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc; 2002.
- Golub MA, Sisakyan IN, Soifer VA, Uvarov GV. Mode-selective fiber sensor operating with computer generated optical elements. Proc SPIE 1991; 1572: 101-106.
- Khonina SN, Skidanov RV, Kotlyar VV, Soifer VA. Phase diffractive filter to analyze an output step-index fiber beam [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2003; 25: 89-94.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: email@example.com ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20