(26) * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Hierarchical compression method for palettized images
A.Y. Bavrina1, N.I. Glumov2, V.V. Sergeev2, E.I. Timbay1
1Samara State Aerospace University
2Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS
PDF, 11 kB
A method for lossless compression of palettized synthetic images is described in this paper. The method is based on the hierarchical image representation in the form of a set of matrixes or hierarchical levels (HL) of reduced size and on coding of the information needed for reconstruction of the current HL only, using the reconstructed values of the previous HL. Various variants of the method implementation are considered. Experimental research shows the effectiveness of the proposed method as compared to the well-known lossless compression standards.
compression method, palettized image, matrix, hierarchical levels, HL, coding information.
Bavrina AY, Glumov NI, Sergeyev VV, Timbay EI. Hierarchical compression method for palettized images. Computer Optics 2004; 26: 126-129.
- Murray JD, vanRyper W. Encyclopedia of graphics file formats. 2nd ed. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media; 1996.
- Weinberger M, Seroussi G, Sapiro G, Marcellin MW. The LOCO-I lossless image compression algorithm: Principles and standardization into JPEG-LS. Hewlett-Packard Computer Systems Laboratory, HPL-98-193; 1998.
- JBIG, Progressive Bi-level Image compression. International Standard ISO/IEC 11544 1993.
- Langdon GG. An introduction to arithmetic coding. IBM J Res Dev 1984; 28(2): 135-149.
- HP Labs LOCO-I/JPEG-LS home page. Source: http://www.hpl.hp.com/loco.
- Gashnikov MV, Glumov NI, Sergeyev VV. Information-processing technology of image compression for real-time systems. Pattern Recognit Image Anal 2003; 13(2): 205-207.
- Chicheva MA, Gashnikov MV, Glumov NI, Sergeyev VV. Hierarchical approach to image compression for remote sensing systems. Proc 6th German-Russian Workshop "Pattern Recognition and Image Understanding" (OGWR-6-2003) 2003: 145-148.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: email@example.com ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20