Focusing of continuous and pulsed laser beams by microsphere
S.S. Stafeev, E.S. Kozlova, D.A. Kozlov, A.A. Morozov, V.V. Kotlyar
Full text of article: Russian language.
We have considered the focusing of continuous and pulsed beams using polystyrene (n = 1.59) microsphere with diameter of 5 μm. It was shown that it is possible to overcome the diffraction limit in both cases. Simulation using commercial software FullWave showed that the smallest diameter of the focus equals to FWHM = (0.55 ± 0.,08) λ in the case of focusing of the CW beam (a plane wave with a wavelength of 633 μm), and equals to FWHM = (0.54 ± 0.08) λ in the case of focusing of the pulsed beam duration of 1.25 fs. Numerical results obtained using FullWave consistent with the results obtained using the MEEP and using own implementation of BOR-FDTD method, and are also in agreement with the experimental data.
photonic nanojet, FDTD-method, scanning near-field optical microscopy.
- Chen, Z. Photonic nanojet enhancement of backscattering of light by nanoparticles: a potential novel visible-light ultramicroscopy technique / Z. Chen, A. Taflove, V. Backman // Opt. Exp. – 2004. – V. 12. – P. 1214.
- Li, X. Optical analysis of nanoparticles via enhanced backscattering facilitated by 3-D photonic nanojets / X. Li, Z. Chen, A. Taflove, V. Backman // Opt. Exp. – 2005. – V. 13. – P. 526.
- Ferrand, P. Direct imaging of photonic nanojets / P. Ferrand, J. Wenger, A. Devilez, M. Pianta, B. Stout, N. Bonod, E. Popov, H. Rigneault // Opt. Exp. – 2008. – V. 16. – P. 6930.
- Kim, M.-S. Engineering photonic nanojets / M.-S. Kim, T. Scharf, S. Mühlig, C. Rockstuhl, H.P. Herzig // Optics Express. – 2011. – V. 19. – P. 10206.
- McCloskey, D. Low divergence photonic nanojets from Si3N4 microdisks / D. McCloskey, J.J. Wang, J.F. Donegan // Optics Express. – 2012. – Vol. 20. – P. 128.
- Kong, S.-C. Quasi one-dimensional light beam generated by a graded-index microsphere/ S.-C. Kong, A. Taflove, V. Backman // Optics Express. – 2009. – V. 17. – P. 3722.
- Devilez, A. Three-dimensional subwavelength confinement of light with dielectric microspheres / A. Devilez, N. Bonod, J. Wenger, D. Gérard, B.S., H. Rigneault, E. Popov // Optics Express. – 2009. – V. 17. – P. 2089.
- Yi, K.J. Enhanced Raman scattering by self-assembled silica spherical microparticles / K.J. Yi, H. Wang, Y.F. Lu, Z.Y. Yang // J. Appl. Phys. – 2007. – V. 101. – P. 063528.
- Kong, S.-C. Photonic nanojet-enabled optical data storage / S.-C. Kong, A. Sahakian, A. Taflove, V. Backman // Opt. Exp. – 2008. – V. 16. – P. 13713.
- McLeod, E. Subwavelength direct-write nanopatterning using optically trapped microspheres / E. McLeod, C.B. Arnold // Nature Nanotechnology. – 2008. – V. 3. – P. 413.
- Wang, T. Subwavelength focusing by a microsphere array / T. Wang, C. Kuang, X. Hao, X. Liu // J. Opt. – 2011. – V. 13. – P. 035702.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; E-mail: email@example.com; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20