(38-4) 12 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Generation of half-pearcey laser beams by a spatial light modulator
A.A. Kovalev, V.V. Kotlyar, A.P. Porfirev
Image Processing Systems Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences,
Samara State Aerospace University
PDF, 536 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
With use of a liquid crystal phase-only spatial light modulator, we generate form-invariant Half-Pearcey laser beams (HP-beams), which were recently proposed by the present authors [Computer Optics, v. 38, no. 2 (2014)]. It is experimentally shown that upon propagation the HP-beams preserve their shape up to a scale and rotate by 180 degrees. These beams have the ability to auto-focus and reconstruct their intensity pattern after partial distortion by an amplitude defect (property of self-healing). The amplitude and phase of the HP-beam were encoded with the modified two-phase algorithm. Ignoring the amplitude and using only the phase leads to greater distortions of the HP-beam comparing with the two-phase encoding algorithm.
Half-Pearcey laser beam, liquid crystal spatial light modulator, two-phase encoding algorithm, encoding of the complex amplitude.
Kotlyar VV, Kovalev AA, Porfirev AP. Hermite-gaussian laser beams with orbital angular momentum. Computer Optics 2014; 38(4): 651-657. DOI: 10.18287/0134-2452-2014-38-4-651-657.
- Durnin, J. Exact solutions for nondiffracting beams. I. The scalar theory / J. Durnin // Journal of the Optical Society of America A. – 1987. – Vol. 4, Issue 4. – P. 651-654.
- Kotlyar, V.V. Diffraction-free asymmetric elegant Bessel beams with fractional orbital angular momentum / V.V. Kotlyar, A.A. Kovalev, V.A. Soifer // Computer Optics. – 2014. – Vol. 38(1). – P. 4-10.
- Kotlyar, V.V. Asymmetric Bessel modes / V.V. Kotlyar, A.A. Kovalev, V.A. Soifer // Optics Letters. – 2014. – Vol. 39, Issue 8. – P. 2395-2398.
- Gutierrez-Vega, J.C. Experimental demonstration of optical Mathieu beams / J.C. Gutiérrez-Vega, M.D. Iturbe-Castillo, G.A. Ram?rez, E. Tepich?n, R.M. Rodr?guez-Dagnino, S. Chávez-Cerda, G.H.C. New // Optics Communications. – 2001. – Vol. 195, Issue 1. – P. 35-40.
- Siegman, A.E. Lasers / A.E. Siegman. – University Science, 1986.
- Kotlyar, V.V. Hypergeometric modes / V.V. Kotlyar, R.V. Skidanov, S.N. Khonina, V.A. Soifer // Optics Letters. – 2007. – Vol. 32. – P. 742-744.
- Kotlyar, V.V. Asymmetric Bessel-Gauss beams / V.V. Kotlyar, A.A. Kovalev, R.V. Skidanov, V.A. Soifer // Journal of the Optical Society of America A. – 2014. – Vol. 31, Issue 9. – P. 1977-1983.
- Berry, M.V. Nonspreading wave packets / M.V. Berry, N.L. Balazs // American Journal of Physics. – 1979. – Vol. 47, Issue 3. – P. 264-267.
- Ring, J. Auto-focusing and self-healing of Pearcey beams / J. Ring, J. Lindberg, A. Mourka, M. Mazilu, K. Dholakia and M. Dennis // Optics Express. – 2012. – Vol. 20. – P. 18955-18966.
- Pearcey, T. The structure of an electromagnetic field in the neighbourhood of a cusp of a caustic / T. Pearcey // The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science: Series 7. – 1946. – Vol. 7, Issue 37. – P. 311-317.
- Berry, M.V. Integrals with coalescing saddles / M.V. Berry, C.J. Howls. – Digital Library of Mathematical Functions, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2012. – http://dlmf.nist.gov/36.2 .
- Kovalev, A.A. Structurally stable three-dimensional and two-dimensional laser Pearcey beams / A.A. Kovalev, V.V. Kotlyar, S.G. Zaskanov // Computer Optics – 2014. – Vol. 38(2). – P. 193-197.
- Methods for Computer design of diffractive optical elements / V.A. Soifer, V.V. Kotlyar, N.L. Kazanskiy, L.L. Doskolovich, S.I. Kharitonov, S.N. Khonina, V.S. Pavelyev, R.V. Skidanov, A.V. Volkov, D.L. Golovashkin, V.S. Solovyev, G.V. Usplenyev; ed. by V.A. Soifer. – New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002. – 765 p.
- Guillon, M. LCoS nematic SLM characterization and modeling for diffraction efficiency optimization, zero and ghost orders suppression / E. Ronzitti, M, Guillon, V. de Sars, V. Emiliani // Optics Express. – 2012. – Vol. 20(16). – P. 17843-17855.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail:email@example.com; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20