Review and testing of frontal face detectors
I.A. Kalinovskii, V.G. Spitsyn
Tomsk Polytechnic University
Full text of article: Russian language.
This paper presents comparison results for the proposed face detection algorithm based on a compact convolutional neural network cascade and modern frontal face detectors. Test results for 16 frontal view face detectors on two public benchmarks datasets are shown. A comparative assessment of the performance of face detection algorithms is made.
face detection, cascade classifiers, convolutional neural networks, deep learning.
Kalinovskii IA, Spitsyn VG. Review and testing of frontal face detectors. Computer Optics 2016; 40(1): 99-111. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2016-40-1-99-111.
- Kalinovskii IA, Spitsyn VG. Compact Convolutional Neural Network Cascade for Face Detection. Source: <http://arxiv.org/abs/1508.01292.pdf>.
- Viola P, Jones MJ. Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2001; 1: 511-518.
- Lienhart R, Maydt J. An extended set of Haar-like features for rapid object detection. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing; 2002: 1: 900–903.
- Jain V, Learned-Miller E. Online domain adaptation of a pre-trained cascade of classifiers. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2011; 577–584.
- Subburaman V, Marcel S. Fast bounding box estimation based face detection. European Conference on Computer Vision, Workshop on Face Detection; 2010; 1–14.
- Markuš N, Frljak M, Pandzic IS, Ahlberg J, Forchheimer R. A method for object detection based on pixel intensity comparisons organized in decision trees. Source: < http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.4537.pdf>.
- Li J, Zhang Y. Learning SURF cascade for fast and accurate object detection. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2013; 3468–3475.
- Barr JR, Bowyer KW, Flynn PJ. The effectiveness of face detection algorithms in unconstrained crowd scenes. IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision; 2014; 1020–1027.
- Yang B, Yan J, Lei Z, Li SZ. Aggregate channel features for multi-view face detection. IEEE International Joint Conference on Biometrics; 2014; 1-8.
- Mathias M, Benenson R, Pedersoli M, Van Gool L. Face detection without bells and whistles. European Conference on Computer Vision; 2014; 720-735.
- Zhang C, Zhang Z. Improving multiview face detection with multi-task deep convolutional neural networks. IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision; 2014; 1036-1041.
- Chen D, Ren S, Wei Y, Cao X, Sun J. Joint cascade face detection and alignment. European Conference on Computer Vision; 2014; 109-122.
- Zhu X, Ramanan D. Face detection, pose estimation, and landmark localization in the wild. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2012; 2879-2886.
- Li H, Lin Z, Brandt J, Shen X, Hua G. Efficient boosted exemplar-based face detection. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2014; 1843-1850.
- Zeiler M, Fergus R. Visualizing and understanding convolutional networks. European Conference on Computer Vision; 2014; 818-833.
- Szegedy C, Liu W, Jia Y, Sermanet P, Reed S, Anguelov D, Erhan D, Vanhoucke V, Rabinovich A. Going deeper with convolutions. Source: <http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.4842.pdf>.
- Garcia C, Delakis M. Convolutional face finder: A neural architecture for fast and robust face detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence; 2004; 1408-1423.
- Osadchy M, LeCun Y, Miller M. Synergistic face detection and pose estimation with energy-based models. Journal of Machine Learning Research; 2007; 1197-1215.
- Farfade SS, Saberian M, Li L-J. Multi-view face detection using deep convolutional neural networks. International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval; 2015.
- Li H, Lin Z, Shen X, Brandt J, Hua G. A Convolutional neural network cascade for face detection. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2015; 5325-5334.
- Kalinovskii IA, Spitsyn VG. Algorithm for face detection on Ultra HD video [In Russian]. Conference on technical vision in control systems; 2015; 95-96.
- Ko?stinger M, Wohlhart P, Roth PM, Bischof H. Annotated Facial Landmarks in the Wild: A Large-scale, real-world database for facial landmark localization. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops; 2011; 2144-2151.
- Vasilache N, Johnson J, Mathieu M, Chintala S, Piantino S, LeCun Y. Fast convolutional nets with fbfft: A GPU performance evaluation. Source: <http://arxiv.org/abs/ 1412.7580.pdf>.
- Ioffe S, Szegedy C. Batch normalization: accelerating deep network training by reducing internal covariate shift. Source: <http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.03167.pdf>.
- Lee C-Y, Xie S, Gallagher P, Zhang Z, Tu Z. Deeply-supervised nets. Source: <http://arxiv.org/abs/ 1409.5185.pdf>.
- Wolf L, Hassner T, Maoz I. Face recognition in unconstrained videos with matched background similarity. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2014; 529-534.
- Kalinovskii IA, Spitsyn VG. Face detection algorithm based on the convolutional neural network [In Russian]. Neurocomputers: Development and Applications; 2013; 10: 48-53.
- Le QV, Coates A, Prochnow B, Ng AY. On Optimization Methods for Deep Learning. International Conference on Machine Learning; 2011; 265-272.
- Ko?stinger M. Efficient metric learning for real-world face recognition. Graz University of Technology. PhD thesis; 2013.
- Pham MT, Cham TJ. Fast training and selection and Haar features using statistics in boosting-based face detection. IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision; 2007; 1-7.
- Kienzle W, Bakir G, Franz M, Scholkopf B. Face detection: efficient and rank deficient. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems; 2005; 673-680.
- Jain V, Learned-Miller E. FDDB: A Benchmark for face detection in unconstrained settings. Technical Report UM-CS-2010-009. University of Massachusetts; 2010.
- Yang B, Yan J, Lei Z, Li SZ. Fine-grained evaluation on face detection in the wild. IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition; 2015.
- Klare BF, Klein B, Taborsky E, Blanton A, Cheney J, Allen K, Grother P, Mah A, Burge M, Jain AK. Pushing the frontiers of unconstrained face detection and recognition: IARPA Janus Benchmark A. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2015; 1931-1939.
- Davis J, Goadrich M. The relationship between Precision-Recall and ROC curves // International Conference on Machine Learning; 2006; 233-240.
- Everingham M, Gool LV, Williams C, Winn J, Zisserman A. The PASCAL visual object classes (VOC) challenge. International Journal of Computer Vision; 2010; 88(2): 303-338.
- Oro D, Fernandez C, Saeta JR, Martorell X, Hernando J. Real-time GPU-based face detection in HD video sequences. IEEE International Conference Computer Vision Workshops; 2011; 530–537.
- Nguyen T, Hefenbrock D, Oberg J, Kastner R, Baden S. A software-based dynamic-warp scheduling approach for load-balancing the Viola–Jones face detection algorithm on GPUs. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing; 2013; 73(5): 677–685.
Sermanet P, Eigen D, Zhang X, Mathieu M, Fergus R, LeCun Y. OverFeat: Integrated recognition, localization and detection using convolutional networks. Source: <http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.6229.pdf>.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20