Review of the current methods for robust image hashing
Kozachok A.V., Kopylov S.A., Meshcheryakov R.V., Evsutin O.O.
Academy of the Federal Guard Service, Oryol, Russia,
Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics, Tomsk, Russia
Full text of article: Russian language.
The development of an Internet of things concept has led to an essential increase in the amount of data processed via the Internet. Multimedia data constitute a significant proportion of this information. This type of data often contains user’s personal information or copyright protected data. The issue of copyright protection of digital imagery has remained topical for the last decades. Traditional information protection tools cannot provide the required level of image protection from possible threats due to specific features of format representation. This article contains a comparative analysis of published research papers concerned with the robust image hashing as one of possible methods of copyright protection of digital imagery. It also includes a classification of robust image hashing methods, discussing their advantages and drawbacks, and their major characteristics. At the end of the article some directions of further research are outlined.
image processing, data integrity, copyright protection, robust hashing, discrete cosines transform, discrete wavelet transform, Fourier transform, Zernike moments.
Kozachok AV, Kopylov SA, Meshcheryakov RV, Evsutin OO. Review of the current methods for robust image hashing. Computer Optics 2017; 41(5): 743-755. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2017-41-5-743-755.
- Weber R.H. Internet of Things – New security and privacy challenges. Computer Law & Security Review 2010; 26(1): 23-30. DOI: 10.1016/j.clsr.2009.11.008.
- InfoWatch 2017 Global data leakage report [In Russian]. Moscow; 2017.
- Chaudhuri A. Internet of things data protection and privacy in the era of the General Data Protection Regulation. Journal of Data Protection & Privacy 2016; 1(1): 64-75.
- Kougianos E, Mohanty SP, Coelho G, Albalawi U, Sundaravadivel P. Design of a high-performance system for secure image communication in the internet of things. IEEE Access; 2016: 4; 1222-1242. DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2542800.
- GOST R 34.11-2012 Information technology. Cryptographic data security. Hash-function. Moscow: "Standartinform" Publisher; 2012.
- Hsu CY, Lu CS. Geometric distortion-resilient image hashing scheme and its applications on copy detection authentication. Multimedia systems 2005: 11(2); 159-173. DOI: 10.1007/s00530-005-0199-y.
- Chen B. Robust image hash functions using higher order spectra. A Thesis submitted in fulfilment of the requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. London: Queensland University of Technology; 2012.
- Schneider M., Chang S-F. A robust content based digital signature for image authentication. Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 1996; 3: 227-230. DOI: 10.1109/ICIP.1996.560425.
- Venkatesan R, Koon S, Jakubowski M, Moulin P. Robust image hashing. ICIP 2000; 3: 664-666. DOI: 10.1109/ICIP.2000.899541.
- Chang E-C, Kankanhalli MS, Guan X, Huang Z, Wu Y. Robust image authentication using content based compression. Multimedia systems 2003; 9(2): 121-130. DOI: 10.1007/s00530-003-0083-6.
- Swaminathan A, Mao Y, Wu M. Robust and secure hashing for images. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 2006; 1(2): 215-230. DOI: 10.1109/TIFS.2006.873601.
- Tang Z, Wang S, Zhang X, Wei W, Su S. Robust image hashing for tamper detection using non-negative matrix factorization. Journal of Ubiquitous Convergence and Technology 2008; 2(1): 18-26.
- Zhao Y, Wang S, Feng G, Tang Z. A robust image hashing method based on Zernike moments. Journal of Computational Information Systems 2010; 6(3): 717-725.
- Yu F-X, Lei Y-Q, Wang Y-G. Robust image hashing based on statistical invariance of DCT coefficients. Journal of Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing 2010; 1(4): 286-291.
- Sebastian LS, Varghese A, Manesh T. Image authentication by content preserving robust image hashing using local and global features. Procedia Computer Science 2015; 46: 1554-1560. DOI: 10.1016/j.procs.2015.02.081.
- Deepa S, Nagajothi A. A secure hashing scheme for image authentication using Zernike moment and local features with histogram features. American International Journal of Research in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics 2014; 5(2): 190-195.
- Ouyang J, Coatrieux G, Shu H. Robust hashing for image authentication using quaternion discrete Fourier transform and log-polar transform. Digital Signal Processing 2015; 41(C): 98-109. DOI: 10.1016/j.dsp.2015.03.006.
- Woo Ch-S. Digital image watermarking methods for copyright protection and authentication. Thesis submitted in accordance with the regulations for Degree of Doctor of Philosophy. London: Queensland University of Technology; 2007.
- Fridrich J., Goljan M. Robust hash functions for digital watermarking. ITCC 2000: 178-183. DOI: 10.1109/ITCC.2000.844203.
- Li K, Zhang X. Reliable adaptive watermarking scheme integrated with JPEG2000. ISPA 2003: 117-122. DOI: 10.1109/ISPA.2003.1296879.
- Lu CS, Sun SW, Chang PC. Robust hash-based image watermarking with resistance to geometric distortions and watermark-estimation attack. Proc SPIE 2005; 5681: 147-163. DOI: 10.1117/12.586637.
- Minguillon J, Herrera-Joancomarti J, Megias D. A robust watermarking scheme based on the JPEG2000 standard. Journal of Electronic Imaging 2005; 14: 681-684. DOI: 10.1117/1.1988334.
- Ridzon R, Levicky D. Robust digital watermarking based on the log-polar mapping. Radioengineering 2007; 16(4): 76-81.
- Kitanovski V, Taskovski D, Bogdanova S. Combined hashing/watermarking method for image authentication. International Journal of Computer, Electrical, Automation, Control and Information Engineering 2007; 1(6): 575-581.
- Winter C, Steinebach M, Yannikos Y. Fast indexing strategies for robust image hashes. Digital Investigation 2014; 11(1): S27-S35. DOI: 10.1016/j.diin.2014.03.004.
- Yang Y, Shen F, Shen H, Li H, Li X. Robust Discrete Spectral Hashing for Large-Scale Image Semantic Indexing. IEEE Transactions on Big Data 2015: 1(4) 162-171. DOI: 10.1109/TBDATA.2016.2516024.
- Kozachok AV, Kopylov SA. Comparative analysis of robust image hashing methods [In Russian]. Questions of technical sciences: new approaches in the decision of topical problems 2016; III: 24-27.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
Institution of Russian Academy of Sciences, Image Processing Systems Institute of RAS, Russia, 443001, Samara, Molodogvardeyskaya Street 151; E-mail: email@example.com ; Phones: +7 (846 2) 332-56-22, Fax: +7 (846 2) 332-56-20