Image blur estimation using gradient field analysis
Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University, Yerevan, Armenia,
Institute for Information and Automation Problems of National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Yerevan, Armenia
Full text of article: Russian language.
Estimating the degree of blur is an important step in improving the image quality. In the literature, many approaches, criteria and algorithms for estimating the degree of blurring are proposed, which utilize the properties of the gradient field of an image. In this paper, we propose a new measure for blur estimation, based on the use of the Weibull distribution shape parameter, determined from a sample of magnitudes of the image gradient. Using artificially blurred images as an example, it is shown that the larger the blur factor, the nearer the proposed measure value to "2", and a monotonic dependence of the measure value on the blur factor is observed. The same effect is observed when the image is filtered, but as the filter factor increases, the value of the measure decreases monotonically. In the paper, it is proposed that the measure of blurring should be considered as a criterion for the structuredness of the image.
image blur, gradient magnitude, Weibull distribution, form parameter, Sobel operator, structure.
Asatryan DG. Image blur estimation using gradient field analysis. Computer Optics 2017; 41(6): 957-962. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2017-41-6-957-962.
- Koik BT, Haidi I. A literature survey on blur detection algorithms for digital imaging. AIMS '13 2013: 272-277. DOI: 10.1109/AIMS.2013.50.
- Garg V, Manchanda M. A survey on image blurring. International Journal of Engineering Applied and Management Sciences Paradigms 2014; 15(1): 42-46.
- Singh D, Sahu RK. A survey on various image deblurring techniques. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering 2013; 2(12): 4736-4739.
- Tiwari Sh, Shukla VP, Singh AK, Biradar SR. Review of motion blur estimation techniques. Journal of Image and Graphics 2013; 1(4): 176-184. DOI: 10.12720/joig.1.4.176-184.
- Tong H. Li M, Zhang H, Zhang C. Blur detection for digital images using wavelet transform. ICME '04 2004, 17-20. DOI: 10.1109/ICME.2004.1394114.
- Kerouh F, Serir A. A no-reference quality metric for measuring image blur in wavelet domain. International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications 2011, 1(4), 767-776, ISSN 2225-658X.
- Choi MG, Jung JH, Jeon JW. No-reference image quality assessment using blur and noise. International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering 2009; 3(2): 184-188.
- Koltsov PP. Image blur estimation [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2011; 35(1): 95-102.
- Bouma H, Dijk J, van Eekeren AWM. Precise local blur estimation based on the first-order derivative. Proc SPIE 2012; 8399: 839904. DOI: 10.1117/12.918600.
- Monich Yu, Starovoitov V. Image quality evaluation for image analysis [In Russian]. Artificial Intelligence 2008; 4: 376-386.
- Chung Y-Ch, Wang J-M, Chen S-W. An edge ansalysis based blur measure for image processing applications. Journal of Taiwan Normal University, Science & Technology 2006; 51(1): 21-31.
- Asatryan D, Egiazarian K. Quality assessment measure based on image structural properties. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Local and Non-Local Approximation in Image Processing 2009: 70-73. DOI: 10.1109/LNLA.2009.5278400.
- Asatryan D, Egiazarian K, Kurkchiyan V. Orientation estimation with applications to image analysis and registration. International Journal “Information Theories and Applications” 2010; 17(4): 303-311.
- Asatryan DG, Kurkchiyan V, Kharatyan LR. Method for texture classification using image structural features [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2014, 38(3), 574-579.
- Brodatz Textures. Source: <http://www.ux.uis.no/~tranden/brodatz.html>.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846)332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20