Improvements of programing methods for finding reference lines on X-ray images
Al-Temimi A.M.S., Pilidi V.S.
Southern Federal University, Rostov-on-Don, Russia
The paper gives an overview of the algorithms developed to obtain reference lines and angles on X-ray images. These geometrical characteristics are used in the medical analysis of human joints. We propose the algorithm’s modifications based on the analysis of numerous X-ray images. These modifications allowed obtaining a great increase in calculation speed and the improvement of final results quality given by the corresponding application. They also lead to a significant reduction of manual tuning of the program, arising only in the rare cases when the properties of given images differ significantly from the mean ones.
reference lines and angles, Canny edge detection algorithm, reference lines, image processing, X-ray images, pattern recognition
Al-Temimi AMS, Pilidi VS. Improvements of programing methods for finding reference lines on X-ray images. Computer Optics 2019; 43(3): 397-401. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2019-43-3-397-401.
- Ilyasova NYu, Kupriyanov AV, Ustinov AV. Intraocular foreign body characteristics study on the basis of skull radiographical images analysis [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2011; 35(2): 268-274.
- Babaev MV, Pilidi VS, Chernukhin NA. Method for the detection of objects and border selection for X-ray medical imaging [In Russian]. Herald of Computer and Information Technologies 2012; 8: 41-45.
- Samuvel B, Thomas V, Mini MG, Kumar JR. A mask based segmentation algorithm for automatic measurement of Cobb angle from scoliosis x-ray image. In Book: Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communications (ICACC '12) 2012; 110-113.
- Gaidel AB, Pervushkin SS. Research of the textural features for the bony tissue diseases diagnostics using the roentgenograms [In Russian]. Computer Optics 2013; 37(1): 133-119.
- Anam S, Uchino E, Misawa H, Suetake N. Texture analysis and modified level set method for automatic detection of bone boundaries in hand radiographs. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications 2014; 5(10): 119-126.
- Shivanand SG, Pooja UP, Ramesh RM. Detection of osteoarthritis using Knee X-ray image analyses: A machine vision based approach. International Journal of Computer Applications 2016; 145(1): 20-26.
- Al Temimi AMS, Pilidi VS. Automating the process of determining the reference lines on the X-ray medical images. Engineering Journal of Don 2017; 1. Source: <http://ivdon.ru/en/magazine/archive/n1y2017/4007>.
- Al Temimi AMS, Pilidi VS. On an algorithm for structure analysis of X-Ray medical images [In Russian]. University News. North-Caucasian Region. Technical Sciences Series 2018; 1(197): 23-28.
- Solomin LN, Kulesh PN. Analysis of indexes of the reference lines and angles in changing the legs form using external osteosynthesis [In Russian]. Travmatologija i Ortopedija Rossii 2011; 2(60): 62-69.
- Solomin LN, Shchepkina EA. Determination of reference lines and angles for the long bones: A guide for physicians [In Russian]. Saint-Petersburg: “RNIITO imeni R.R. Vredena” Publisher; 2010.
- Solomin LN. Fundamentals of transosseous osteosynthesis with the Ilizarov fixator [In Russian]. Saint-Petersburg: “Morsar AV” Publisher; 2005.
- Paley D. Principles of deformity correction. New York: Springer-Verlag; 2005.
- Al Temimi AMS. System for the analysis of radiographic images of the knee joint. Certificate of state registration of the computer program No. 2018610378. Date of state registration in the Register of Computer Programs January 10, 2018.
- Gonzalez R, Woods R. Digital image processing. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc; 2006.
- Canny JF. A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 1986; PAMI-8(6): 679-698.
- Meyer F. Color image segmentation. International Conference on Image Processing and its Applications 1992: 303-306.
- Suhas S, Venugopal CR. An efficient MRI noise removal technique using linear and nonlinear filters. International Journal of Computer Applications 2018; 179(15): 17-20.
- Crow FC. Summed-area tables for texture mapping. ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics 1984; 18(3): 207-212.
- Viola P, Jones M. Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 2001: 511-518.
- Liu T-S, Liu R-X, Ping-Zeng, Pan S-W. Improved Canny algorithm for edge detection of core image. The Open Automation and Control Systems Journal 2014; 6: 426-432.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846)332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20