(43-4) 03 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Addressed fiber Bragg structures
in quasi-distributed microwave-photonic sensor systems
O.G. Morozov1, A.J. Sakhabutdinov1
1 Kazan National Research Technical University named after A.N. Tupolev – KAI,
420111, K. Marx str., 10, Russia, Kazan
PDF, 1404 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
The article describes the theory and technique of addressed fiber Bragg structures and a new class of microwave-photonic sensory systems based thereon, the distinctive feature of which is that the fiber Bragg structure forms two ultra-narrowband frequency components separated by a unique address frequency spacing. The offset of the central frequencies of the Bragg structures is determined via processing a beat signal of the address frequencies on the photodetector, with its parameters making it possible to evaluate the physical fields applied. We formulate and solve a problem of unambiguously determining the central (Bragg) frequency shift of the addressed fiber Bragg structures with unique address frequencies and the same Bragg frequency. These are then combined into a single multi-sensor system with multiplexed response reception on a single photodetector.
microwave-photonic sensor systems, fiber Bragg gratings, addressed fiber Bragg structures
Morozov OG, Sakhabutdinov AJ. Addressed fiber Bragg structures in quasi-distributed microwave-photonic sensor systems. Computer Optics 2019; 43(4): 535-543. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2019-43-4-535-543.
- Measures RM, Melle S, Liu K. Wavelength demodulated Bragg grating fiber optic sensing systems for addressing smart structure critical issues. Smart Mater Struct 1992; 1(1): 36-44.
- Davis MA, Bellemore DG, Kersey AD. Structural strain mapping using a wavelength/time division addressed fiber Bragg grating array. Proc SPIE 1994; 2361: 342-345.
- Matveenko VP, et al. Measurement of strains by optical fiber Bragg grating sensors embedded into polymer composite material. Struct Control Health Monit 2017; 25(3): 1-11.
- Qiao X. Fiber Bragg grating sensors for the oil industry. Sensors 2017; 17(429): 1-34.
- Ma Z, Chen X. Fiber bragg gratings sensors for aircraft wing shape measurement: Recent applications and technical analysis. Sensors 2019; 19(55): 1-25.
- Karim F. Full Matlab code for synthesis and optimization of Bragg gratings. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Pub-lishing; 2019.
- Cormier G, et al. Real-coded genetic algorithm for Bragg grating parameter synthesis. J Opt Soc Am B 2001; 18(12): 1771-1776.
- Li K. Review of the strain modulation methods used in fiber Bragg grating sensors. Journal of Sensors 2016; 9(4): 1284520.
- Li RM, et al. Addressing fiber Bragg grating sensors with wavelength-swept pulse fiber laser and analog electrical switch. Opt Commun 2011; 284(4): 1561-1564.
- Town GE, et al. Design and performance of high-speed optical pulse-code generators using optical fiber Bragg gratings. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 1999; 5(5): 1325-1331.
- Wang Ch, et al. Phase-coded millimeter-wave waveform generation using a spatially discrete chirped fiber Bragg grating. IEEE Photon Technol Lett 2012; 24(17): 1493-1495.
- Kacik D, et al. Addressing fiber Bragg grating sensor using all-fiber low coherence interferometry. Optical Fiber Technology 2013; 19: 598-603.
- Qi B, et al. Reflectometry based on a frequency-shifted interferometer using sideband interference. Opt Lett 2013; 38(7): 1083-1085.
- Koo KP, et al. Fiber-chirped grating Fabry–Perot sensor with multiple-wavelength-addressable free-spectral ranges. IEEE Photon Technol Lett 1998; 10(7): 1006-1008.
- Wei Z, et al. New code families for fiber-Bragg-grating-based spectral-amplitude-coding optical CDMA systems. IEEE Photon Technol Lett 2001; 13(8): 890-892.
- Kataoka N, et al. Phase-shifted superstructured fiber Bragg grating. Fujikura Technical Review 2011; 40: 6-11.
- Triana CA, et al. Optical code division multiplexing in the design of encoded fiber Bragg grating sensors. Opt Pura Apl 2016; 49(1): 17-28.
- Triana A, et al. Interrogation of super-structured FBG sensors based on discrete prolate spheroidal sequences. Proc SPIE 2017; 10231: 102310H.
- Djordjevic IB, et al. Design of DPSS based fiber bragg gratings and their application in all-optical encryption, OCDMA, optical steganography, and orthogonal-division multiplexing. Opt Express 2014; 22(9): 10882-10897.
- Kim Y, et al. A wide dynamics and fast scan interrogating method for a fiber Bragg grating sensor network implemented using code division multiple access. Sensors 2012; 12: 5888-5895.
- Triana A, et al. A code division design strategy for multiplexing fiber Bragg grating sensing networks. Sensors 2017; 17(2508): 1-14.
- Yin H, et al. Top-hat random fiber Bragg grating. Opt Lett 2015; 40(15): 3592-3594.
- Wang Z, et al. Random fiber laser based on weak fiber Bragg grating array. Proc SPIE 2018; 11048: 110483D.
- Deng H, et al. High-speed and high-resolution interrogation of a strain and temperature random grating sensor. J Lightw Technol 2018; 36(23): 5587-5592.
- Liu J, Lu P, Mihailov S, Wang M, Yao JP. A real-time random grating sensor array for quasi-distributed sensing based on wave-length-to-time mapping and time-division multiplexing. Opt Lett 2019; 44(2): 379-382.
- Curatu G, LaRochelle S, Paré C, Bélanger P-A. Optical pulse shaping based on a double-phase-shifted fiber Bragg grating. Proc SPIE 2001; 4271: 213-221.
- Dai Y, Chen X, Jiang D, et al. Equivalent phase shift in a fiber Bragg grating achieved by changing the sampling period. IEEE Photon Technol Lett 2004; 16(10): 2284-2286.
- Cusano A, Iadicicco A, Paladino D, Campopiano S, Cutolo A. Photonic band-gap engineering in UV fiber gratings by the arc discharge technique. Opt Express 2008; 16: 15332-15342.
- Kuznetsov AA. Multiplicative fiber optic wear and temperature sensor brushes of electrical machines [In Russian]. The thesis for the Candidate's degree in Technical Sciences. Kazan; 2016.
- Morozov OG, Nureev II, Feofilaktov SV, Cherepanov DA. The questions of software-defined networks concept application for downhole fiber optic telemetry systems [In Russian]. Nonlinear World 2014; 10: 83-90.
- Canning J, Sceats MG. Pi-phase-shifted periodic distributed structures in optical fibers by UV post-processing. Electron Lett 1994; 30(16): 1344-1345.
- Uttamchandani D, Othonos A. Phase shifted Bragg gratings formed in optical fibers by UV fabrication thermal processing. Opt Commun 1996; 127: 200-204.
- Jiang L, Zhang D-S, Zhang W-G, et al. Fabrication of dual-wavelength fiber Bragg grating with a longitudinal stretch. Front Phys China 2006; 22(1): 108-111.
- Sahabutdinov AZh. Radiophotonic sensor systems on address fiber Bragg structures and their application for solving practical problems. The thesis for the Doctor's degree in Technical Sciences. Kazan; 2014.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: email@example.com ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846)
332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20