(45-1) 05 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Splitting of resonances in a curved optical fiber-based Fabry-Perot resonator
A.V. Dyshlyuk 1,2,3, U.A. Eryusheva 1, O.B. Vitirk 1,2
1 IACP FEB RAS, 690041, Russia, Vladivostok, 5, Radio Str.,
2 Far Eastern Federal University, 690091, Russia, Vladivostok, 8 Sukhanova Str.,
3 Vladivostok State University of Economics and Services, 690014, Russia, Vladivostok, 41, Gogolya Str.
PDF, 1763 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
In this work, the splitting of resonance lines in a Fabry-Perot resonator formed by a section of a standard curved single-mode fiber with metal-coated ends is investigated numerically and experimentally. It is shown that this splitting is similar to the Autler-Townes splitting and results from a strong coupling between the fundamental mode of the core and the whispering gallery mode of the cladding of the curved fiber. The influence of all basic parameters of the curved resonator on the splitting of its resonance lines in the reflection and transmission spectra is considered. Prospects for the practical application of the effects studied for high-resolution optical refractometry, as well as the direction of further research are outlined.
Fano resonance, Autler-Townes effect, electromagnetically induced transparency, curved optical fiber, refractometry.
Dyshlyuk AV, Eryusheva UA, Vitrik OB. Splitting of resonances in a curved optical fiber-based Fabry-Perot resonator. Computer Optics 2021; 45(1): 38-44. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-CO-756.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project No. 20-02-00556А).
- Fano U. Sullo spettro di assorbimento dei gas nobili presso il limite dello spettro darco. Il Nuovo Cimento 1935; 12: 154-161.
- Fano U. Effects of configuration interaction on intensities and phase shifts. Phys Rev 1961; 124(6): 1866.
- Limonov MF, et al. Fano resonances in photonics. Nat Photon 2017; 11(9): 543.
- Luk'yanchuk B, et al. The Fano resonance in plasmonic nanostructures and metamaterials. Nat Mater 2010; 9(9): 707.
- Miroshnichenko AE, Flach S, Kivshar YS. Fano resonances in nanoscale structures. Rev Mod Phys 2010; 82(3): 2257.
- Rahmani M, Luk'yanchuk B, Hong M. Fano resonance in novel plasmonic nanostructures. Laser Photonics Rev 2013; 7(3): 329-349.
- Garrido Alzar CL, Martinez MAG, Nussenzveig P. Classical analog of electromagnetically induced transparency. Am J Phys 2002; 70(1): 37-41.
- Dyshlyuk AV. Tunable Fano-like resonances in a bent single-mode waveguide-based Fabry–Perot resonator. Opt Lett 2019; 44(2): 231-234.
- Dyshlyuk AV. Demonstration of resonant phenomena analogous to Autler-Townes splitting, electromagnetically induced transparency and Fano resonances in a deformed waveguide resonator. Computer Optics 2019; 43(1): 35-41. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2019-43-1-35-41.
- Dyshlyuk AV, et al. Numerical and experimental investigation of surface plasmon resonance excitation using whispering gallery modes in bent metal-clad single-mode optical fiber. J Light Technol 2017; 35(24): 5425-5431.
- Wang P, et al. Macrobending single-mode fiber-based refractometer. Appl Opt 2009; 48(31): 6044-6049.
- Wang P, et al. A macrobending singlemode fiber refractive index sensor for low refractive index liquids. Photonics Lett Poland 2010; 2(2): 67-69.
- Kulchin YN, Vitrik OB, Gurbatov SO. Effect of small variations in the refractive index of the ambient medium on the spectrum of a bent fibre-optic Fabry–Perot interferometer. Quantum Electronics 2011; 41(9): 821.
- Kretschmann E, Raether H. Radiative decay of non radiative surface plasmons excited by light. Z Naturforsch A 1968; 23(12): 2135-2136.
- Homola J. Surface plasmon resonance based sensors. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 2006.
- Snyder AW, Love J. Optical waveguide theory. Springer Science & Business Media; 2012.
- Novotny L. Strong coupling, energy splitting, and level crossings: A classical perspective. Am J Phys 2010; 78(11): 1199-1202.
- Picciarelli V, Stella R. Coupled pendulums: a physical system for laboratory investigations at upper secondary school. Phys Educ 2010; 45(4): 402.
- Wang P, et al. Accurate theoretical prediction for single-mode fiber macrobending loss and bending induced polarization dependent loss. Proc SPIE 2008; 7003: 70031Y.
- Heiblum M, Harris J. Analysis of curved optical waveguides by conformal transformation. IEEE J Quantum Electron 1975; 11(2): 75-83.
- Smink RW, De Hon BP, Tijhuis AG. Bend-induced loss in single-mode fibers. Proceedings Symposium IEEE/LEOS 2005: 281-284.
- Zendehnam A, et al. Investigation of bending loss in a single-mode optical fibre. Pramana – J Phys 2010; 74(4): 591-603.
- Wang Q, Farrell G, Freir T. Theoretical and experimental investigations of macro-bend losses for standard single mode fibers. Opt Express 2005; 13(12): 4476-4484.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20