(45-1) 17 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Chest X-ray image classification for viral pneumonia and Сovid-19 using neural networks
V.G. Efremtsev 1, N.G. Efremtsev 1, E.P. Teterin 2, P.E. Teterin 3, E.S. Bazavluk 1
1 Independent researcher,
2 Kovrov State Technological Academy named after V.A.Degtyarev, Kovrov, Vladimir region, Russia,
3 National Research Nuclear University "MEPhI", Moscow, Russia
PDF, 981 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
The use of neural networks to detect differences in radiographic images of patients with pneu-monia and COVID-19 is demonstrated. For the optimal selection of resize and neural network ar-chitecture parameters, hyperparameters, and adaptive image brightness adjustment, precision, recall, and f1-score metrics are used. The high values of these metrics of classification quality (> 0.91) strongly indicate a reliable difference between radiographic images of patients with pneumonia and patients with COVID-19, which opens up the possibility of creating a model with good predictive ability without involving ready-to-use complex models and without pre-training on third-party data, which is promising for the development of sensitive and reliable COVID-19 express-diagnostic methods.
X-ray image processing, convolutional neural network, classification, COVID-19.
Efremtsev VG, Efremtsev NG, Teterin EP, Teterin PE, Bazavluk ES. Chest x-ray image classification for viral pneumonia and Сovid-19 using neural networks. Computer Optics 2021; 45(1): 149-153. DOI:10.18287/2412-6179-CO-765.
The authors thank for the support from the National Research Nuclear University MEPhI in the framework of the Russian Academic Excellence Project (contract No. 02.a03.21.0005, 27.08.2013).
- Wu F, Zhao S, Yu B, et al. A new coronavirus associated with human respiratory disease in China. Nature 2020; 579(7798): 265.
- World Health Organization. Pneumonia of unknown cause – China. Source: <https://www.who.int/csr/don/05-january-2020-pneumonia-of-unkown-cause-china/en/>.
- Veselova EI, Russkikh AE, Kaminskiy GD, Lovacheva OV, Samoylova AG, Vasilyeva IA. Novel coronavirus infection [In Russian]. Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases 2020; 98(4): 6-14. DOI: 10.21292/2075-1230-2020-98-4-6-14.
- Pashina TA, Gaidel AV, Zelter PM, Kapishnikov AV, Nikonorov AV. Automatic highlighting of the region of interest in computed tomography images of the lungs. Computer Optics 2020; 44(1): 74-81. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-CO-659.
- Li L, et al. Using artificial intelligence to detect COVID-19 and community-acquired pneumonia based on pulmonary CT: Evaluation of the diagnostic accuracy. Radiology 2020; 296(2): E65-E71. DOI: 10.1148/radiol.2020200905.
- Nath M, Choudhury C. Automatic detection of pneumonia from chest X-Rays using deep learning. In Book: Bhattacharjee A, Borgohain S, Soni B, Verma G, Gao X-Z, eds. Machine learning, image processing, network security and data sciences. Singapore: Springer; 2020: 175-182. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-15-6315-7_14.
- Okeke S, et al. An efficient deep learning approach to pneumonia classification in healthcare. J Healthc Eng 2019; 2019: 4180949. DOI: 10.1155/2019/4180949.
- Swapnarekha H, et al. Role of intelligent computing in COVID-19 prognosis: A state-of-the-art revie. Chaos Solitons Fractals 2020; 138: 109947. DOI: 10.1016/j.chaos.2020.109947.
- Wang L, Wong A. COVID-Net: A tailored deep convolutional neural network design for detection of COVID-19 cases from chest X-Ray images. 2020. Source: <https://arxiv.org/abs/2003.09871>.
- Ozturk T, et al. Automated detection of COVID-19 cases using deep neural networks with X-ray images. Comput Biol Med 2020; 121: 103792. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2020.103792.
- Loey M, Smarandache F, Khalifa NEM. Within the lack of chest COVID-19 X-Ray dataset: A novel detection model based on GAN and deep transfer learning. Symmetry 2020; 12: 651. DOI: 10.3390/sym12040651.
- Das D, Santosh KC, Pal U. Truncated inception net: COVID-19 outbreak screening using chest X-Rays. Phys Eng Sci Med 2020; 43(3): 915-925. DOI: 10.1007/s13246-020-00888-x.
- Apostolopoulos ID, Mpesiana TA. COVID-19: automatic detection from X-Ray images utilizing transfer learning with convolutional neural networks. Phys Eng Sci Med 2020;43(2): 635-640. DOI: 10.1007/s13246-020-00865-4.
- Tuncer T, Dogan S, Ozyurt F. An automated residual exemplar local binary pattern and iterative relieff based COVID-19 detection method using chest X-Ray image. Chemom Intell Lab Syst 2020; 203: 104054. DOI: 10.1016/j.chemolab.2020.104054.
- CoronaHack -Chest X-Ray-Dataset. Classify the X-Ray image which is having Corona. Source: <https://www.kaggle.com/praveengovi/coronahack-chest-xraydataset>
- Gonzalez RC, Woods RE. Digital image processing. 3rd ed. Pearson Education Inc; 2008.
- Chollet F. Deep learning with Python. New York: Manning Publications; 2017.
- Müller AC, Guido S. Introduction to machine learning with Python: A guide for data scientists. O'Reilly Media; 2016.
- Géron A. Hands-on machine learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow: Сoncepts, tools, and techniques to build intelligent systems. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media; 2017.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20