(46-4) 12 * << * >> * Russian * English * Content * All Issues
Detection of presentation attacks on facial authentication systems using special devices
A.Y. Denisova 1, V.V. Fedoseev 1,2
1 Samara National Research University, 443086, Samara, Russia, Moskovskoye Shosse 34;
2 IPSI RAS – Branch of the FSRC "Crystallography and Photonics" RAS,
443001, Samara, Russia, Molodogvardeyskaya 151
PDF, 1052 kB
Full text of article: Russian language.
The article proposes a feature system designed to detect presentation attacks on facial authentication systems. In this type of attack, an attacker disguises as an authorized user using his image. The feature system assumes the possibility of using one or more special imaging sensors in addition to the basic RGB camera (thermal cameras, depth cameras, infrared cameras). The method has demonstrated a low error rate on the WMCA dataset, while experiments have shown its ability to remain effective in the case of the lack of training data. The comparative experiments carried out showed that the proposed method surpassed the RDWT-Haralick-SVM algorithm, and also approached the results of the MC-CNN algorithm, based on deep learning, which requires a significantly larger amount of training data.
presentation attack, authentication, face recognition, thermal data, depth data.
Denisova AY, Fedoseev VA. Detection of presentation attacks on facial authentication systems using special devices. Computer Optics 2022; 46(4): 612-620. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-CO-1054.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research under projects Nos. 19-29-09045, 19-07-00357 and state contract 007-GZ/Ch3363/26.
- Mahmood Z, Muhammad N, Bibi N, Ali T. A review on state-of-the-art face recognition approaches. Fractals 2017; 25(2): 1750025.
- Kalinovskiy IA, Lavrentyeva GM. Face anti-spoofing for biometric systems [In Russian]. 28th Int Conf on Computer Graphics and Vision (GraphiCon) 2018: 204-207.
- Facial recognition market to grow at 12 percent CAGR to 2024, technavio forecasts. Biometric update. Source: <https://www.biometricupdate.com/202011/facial-recognition-market-to-grow-at-12-percent-cagr-to-2024-technavio-forecasts>.
- Bhattacharjee S, Mohammadi A, Anjos A, Marcel S. Recent advances in face presentation attack detection. In Book: Marcel S, Nixon MS, Fierrez J, Evans N, eds. Handbook of biometric anti-spoofing. Cham: Springer; 2019: 207-228.
- Zhang M, Zeng K, Wang J. A survey on face anti-spoofing algorithms. Journal of Information Hiding and Privacy Protection 2020; 2(1): 21-34.
- Nikitin MYu, Konushin VS, Konushin AS. Face anti-spoofing with joint spoofing medium detection and eye blinking analysis. Computer Optics 2019; 43(4): 618-626. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2019-43-4-618-626.
- Gorbatsevich VS, Moiseenko AS, Vizilter YV. FaceDetectNet: Face detection via fully-convolutional network. Computer Optics 2019; 43(1): 63-71. DOI: 10.18287/2412-6179-2019-43-1-63-71.
- Wang T, Yang J, Lei Z, Liao S, Li SZ. Face liveness detection using 3D structure recovered from a single camera. Int Conf on Biometrics (ICB) 2013: 1-6.
- Li X, Komulainen J, Zhao G. Generalized face anti-spoofing by detecting pulse from face videos. Proc IEEE 23rd Int Conf on Pattern Recognition 2016; 4239-4244.
- Bao W, Li H, Li N, Jiang W. A liveness detection method for face recognition based on optical flow field. Proc Int Conf on Image Analysis and Signal Processing 2009: 233-236.
- Li HL, Wang SQ, Kot AC. Face spoofing detection with image quality regression. Proc 6th Int Conf on Image Processing Theory Tools and Applications 2016; 1-6.
- Yi D, Lei Z, Zhang ZW, Li SZ. Face anti-spoofing: Multispectral approach. In Book: Marcel S, Nixon MS, Li SZ, eds. Handbook of biometric anti-spoofing. London: Springer; 2014: 83-102.
- Mohamed S, Ghoneim A, Youssif A. Visible/infrared face spoofing detection using texture descriptors. MATEC Web of Conferences 2019; 292: 04006.
- Sun L, Huang WB, Wu MH. TIR/VIS correlation for liveness detection in face recognition. Int Conf on Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns 2011: 114-121.
- Erdogmus N, Marcel S. Spoofing 2D face recognition systems with 3D masks and antispoofing with kinect. Int Conf of the BIOSIG Special Interest Group (BIOSIG) 2013: 1-8.
- Sun X, Huang L, Liu C. Multispectral face spoofing detection using VIS–NIR imaging correlation. Int J Wavelets Multiresolut Inf Process 2018; 16: 1840003.
- Sun X, Huang L, Liu C. Multimodal face spoofing detection via RGB-D images. 2018 24th Int Conf on Pattern Recognition (ICPR) 2018: 2221-2226.
- Wang Y, Nian F, Li T, Meng Z, Wang K. Robust face anti-spoofing with depth information. J Vis Commun Image Represent 2017; 49: 332-337.
- Kowalski M. A study on presentation attack detection in thermal infrared. Sensors 2020; 20: 3988.
- Ewald KE, Zeng L, Yao Z, Mawuli CB, Abubakar HS, Victor A. Applying CNN with extracted facial patches using 3 modalities to detect 3D face spoof. 2020 17th Int Computer Conf on Wavelet Active Media Technology and Information Processing (ICCWAMTIP) 2020: 216-221.
- Singh M, Arora AS. Computer aided face liveness detection with facial thermography. Wireless Pers Commun 2020; 111: 2465-2476.
- Tang Y, Chen L. 3D Facial geometric attributes based anti-spoofing approach against mask attacks. 2017 12th IEEE Int Conf on Automatic Face & Gesture Recognition (FG 2017) 2017: 589-595.
- George A, Mostaani Z, Geissenbuhler D, Nikisins O, Anjos A, Marcel S. Biometric face presentation attack detection with multi-channel convolutional neural network. IEEE Trans Inf Forensics Secur 2019; 15: 42-55.
- Denisova A, Fedoseev V. Presentation attack detection in facial authentication using small training data obtained by multiple devices. 2021 Int Conf on Information Technology and Nanotechnology (ITNT) 2021: 1-5. DOI: 10.1109/ITNT52450.2021.9649390.
- Soifer VA, ed. Computer image processing. VDM Verlag Dr Müller; 2007. ISBN: 978-3-639-16837-2.
- Canny J. A computational approach to edge detection. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 1986; PAMI-8(6): 679-698.
- Haralick R, Shanmugam K, Dinstein I. Textural features for image classification. IEEE TSMC 1973; 3(6): 610-621.
- Agarwal A, Singh R, Vatsa M. Face anti-spoofing using Haralick features. 8th Int Conf on Biometrics Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS) 2016: 1-6.
- Christianini N, Shawe-Taylor J. An introduction to support vector machines and other Kernel-Based learning methods. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2000.
- Kulkarni VY, Sinha PK. Pruning of random forest classifiers: A survey and future directions. Int Conf on Data Science & Engineering (ICDSE) 2012: 64-68.
- ISO/IEC 30107-3. Information technology – Biometric presentation attack detection – Part 3: Testing and reporting. Source: <https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso-iec:30107:-3:ed-1:v1:en>.
- Wu X, He R, Sun Z, Tan T. A light cnn for deep face representation with noisy labels. IEEE Trans Inf Forensics Secur 2018; 13(11): 2884-2896.
© 2009, IPSI RAS
151, Molodogvardeiskaya str., Samara, 443001, Russia; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Tel: +7 (846) 242-41-24 (Executive secretary), +7 (846) 332-56-22 (Issuing editor), Fax: +7 (846) 332-56-20